Cast your mind back to my colleague Nick Silvester’s post back in June regarding the prediction of wasp numbers during the summer of 2016. Well most of the summer has been upon us, and indeed, as he correctly predicted, the warm and wet weather pattern has provided a most fertile time for the wasps whereby they have recovered from the cold winter climate.
The problem for some businesses is that Wasps make their nest in and around your business premises in hard to reach places making it risky to remove their nest. However, the remoteness is not the main risk, the main risk to humans is the risk of multiple wasp stings during any removal, and to most businesses wasps remain a real pain, and threat to their employees.
I would like to reiterate the advice given by Nick in his previous article, because with the numbers at their height at the moment, the following is extremely important to your employees.
Reducing The Risk Of Being Stung
There are a number of things that we can do to reduce the risk of attracting wasps and more importantly of being stung. Outside venues such as garden parties and BBQ’s are where people are most at risk, so here are some simple ways to reduce those risks.
- Avoid wearing strong perfumes or after shaves.
- Avoid wearing bright colors, as these will attract wasps.
- Keep sweet foods and drinks covered if you can.
- Try to avoid swatting wasps, as they are more likely to sting if attacked.
- NEVER drink beverages from a can, wasps can crawl inside the can undetected. if you do get stung in the mouth seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!
If you are stung by a wasp just be aware that in rare cases an allergic reaction can take place. If you experience any of the following symptoms seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!
Wheezing or difficulty breathing
- nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- a fast heart rate
- dizziness or feeling faint
- difficulty swallowing
- confusion, anxiety or agitation
Action for Business
To remove the risk of a multiple stings to an employee, simply call us and arrange for a technician to safely remove the wasp nest without the risk to your business or fear of getting sting yourself. Call us on 01630 652958 for all your commercial pest control needs.